Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Excited for Halloween!

The month of October has just started and that means that I have to start preparing my decorations for Halloween. I am so excited to get my friends and boyfriend to come over to decorate my house; I know it sounds corny, but I love any holiday that requires decorations. It's not only the decorating that I enjoy doing, but also pumpkin picking with my God daughter! I guess it gives me a sense of being young again.

Vocabulary:
decoration(noun)- a process of putting objects up for the holidays.
Halloween(noun)- a holiday that takes place during the evening of October 31st and children dress up in costumes to go from house to house to collect candy.
corny(adjective)- when something is not funny or old fashioned.
pumpkin picking(noun)- an event that takes place during the holiday season of Halloween when you pick pumpkins to take home.
require(verb)- to have need of.
excited(adjective)- an emotion of great happiness.

Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word:
1. My friend told a ______________ joke that no one laughed at.
2. I am going to dress up as a witch for __________________.
3. During the holidays, I buy more ___________________ for the house.
4. One of the students' in the class _____________ more attention from the teacher because she does not understand.
5. During Halloween, I take my God daughter _____________________.
6. When my brother bought home the puppy, I was so _________________.

Grammar Point: Prepositions
Prepositions are linked to a verb an object.
Now you try it:
Underline the preposition in the sentence then write your own sentence with a preposition and underline it.

The leprechaun went over the rainbow to search for his gold.
____________________________________________________________________________________.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hi, how are you? I really love your blog page... pink is very pretty. I also agree that Halloween is an exciting time and it's not corny to be excited about friends coming over to set up your house. I hope all works out and your holiday is a lot of fun, whatever you choose to do. I know how fun it is to see a Goddaughter dressed in a costume at Halloween. My nephew is adorable every Halloween and I can't wait to see what he'll look like this year!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teacher: Jackie said...

I have to warn you that most ESL students, especially adults, are highly alarmed by the celebration of Halloween. They find the many evil images - witches, goblins, skeletons, ghosts -- to be alarming. Parents may not want their children to participate in Halloween celebrations.

The reasons for this dismay are usually religious, so ESL students and their families should be given a choice not to participate. Many view it as an acceptance of evil.