Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day!

Election Day has finally passed. I woke up this mourning and found out that Obama is our new president. I was so happy because I voted for him and this election was definitely very important. I feel that Obama has alot on his plate now because he has to get us out of this recession. He has stepped into a mess and hopefully he can lead us out of it. I have faith that he will try his best and hopefully we will get out of this recession and not have it get worse.

Vocabulary:
election(noun)- the selection of a person or persons for office by vote.
president(noun)- the highest executive officer of a modern republic, as the Chief Executive of the United States.
vote(verb)- to express or signify will or choice in a matter.
recession(noun)- a period of an economic contraction.
faith(noun)- confidence or trust in a person or thing.

Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word:
1. I have ____________ in my religion.
2. The United States is going though a ___________ at this time.
3. The ____________ of the United States runs the country.
4. I ____________ for Obama.
5. This ________________ of presidents was a change in history.

Grammar Point: Discourse Markers
They are used for sequence, managing conversation, to influence our listeners and readers, and to express our attitude to what we say and write. Examples: Anyway, finally, fortunately, futhermore, naturally, obviously, secondly.

You try it:
In order write how you start your mourning.

1 comment:

Teacher: Jackie said...

I hope that you are right. The economy is in quite a pickle.
That's a good idiom to teach ESL students. It is related to a "pretty pickle." What do these idioms mean? What are their origins?