Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Holidays

Well the semester is coming to an end and the holidays are on their way. This is my favorite time of the year, but not until papers and finals are all done with. When the semester is over I will be able to enjoy the holiday. I am sure I have mentioned this before, but Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday. Its a little weird, but it makes me feel so good inside and I love spending time with family. I am the decorator at my house so I try and do my best to make my house look absolutely beautiful.

Vocabulary:
semester(noun)- a school session; a period of time during education.
holiday(noun)- a day of celebration for a certain person or religious reasoning.
favorite(noun)- a person or thing regarded with special favor or preference.
enjoy(verb)- take pleasure in.
decorator(noun)- a person who decorates.

Fill in the blanks:
1. During the _____________ of Thanksgiving, I gather with my family to give thanks.
2. I am the ________________ for the house during all the holidays.
3. Christmas is my ____________ time of the year.
4. The ______________ will be over December 16th, after all my finals are done.
5. I _______________ playing my xbox 360 during my spare time.

Grammar Point:Defining Relative Clause and Non-defining
A defining relative clause is needed in understanding the meaning of a sentence and a non-defining relative clause is additional information which is not needed to understand the meaning of a sentence.

Now you try it:
Decide whether the flowing clauses are defining or non-defining. Insert commas where necessary!
ex) The car, which was a rare sports coupe, was built in 1966.

1. We invited the boy who Tom had met the week before to the party.
2. Our friends who we met at the university are coming to visit next week.

1 comment:

Teacher: Jackie said...

Holidays are busy times that call for defining clauses. A difficult topic, defining and non-defining clauses confuse native and nonnative speakers alike.However, I think if you keep in mind the term "defining," it may be easier to differentiate them.